Friday, November 14, 2014

Friday, November 14 - The Berlin Wall


 
 
             Clutching my sketchpad to my chest, I let the crowd of roaring Germans sweep me to the other side of the wall. I stumbled along as everyone quickly tried to push through to meet their relatives and friends. Although the thought of seeing my own family came to mind, the first thing I had to do was get out of the horde of people racing around me. As more people began to rush by, I couldn’t help but start to feel excited. The chaos almost gave off a refreshing feeling. I hurried onward, hoping to keep up with the people that buzzed and shook with anticipation. Although it felt like minutes, the people quickly began separating and breaking apart. I finally had time to stop and take a step back. I stood there, now in Berlin. I looked around and saw people joining together, hugging and laughing; a few were even crying. West Germany looked so much more different than the East. Not far off from the wall were markets where the Easterners stood out perfectly among the West Germans. No one cared, that didn’t matter right now. I watched as other Easterners picked up many different foods, some that I’ve never seen before, and look at them in wonder. I think that was the easiest way you could tell the people apart. The West Germans were better dressed, but the Easterners had a different look on their faces.

                This picture is one that I never want to forget. This much joy and celebration only comes by so often, I had to get a picture of it. I bustled my way over to an emptier spot a little farther down the street and took out the few supplies that I had on me. Opening my book, I scrawled hurriedly on the page, hoping to capture this moment as if it were to disappear if I took my eyes off of it for more than a second. My eyes darted from page to street while I let my hand do the work and record what I saw. I took note of the shop names, strange foods, street signs, but most importantly, the people. Satisfied with what I had, I packed my supplies away back into my gray coat. My family was probably making their way to the groups of people by now, scanning around in hopes of finding me. I’ll show up a little late, but I know they’ll understand. They know that I always take my time to capture what is around me on my sketchpad.

No comments:

Post a Comment