Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thursday, November 13 - The Macabre Arts


 
 
When I look at this picture, I can’t help but recoil out of shock and disgust. However, I am not disgusted by the starved state of these poor unfortunate souls, not at all. Although it is not the most pleasurable sight, these people are only human. I cannot even dare myself to be nauseated by these people, even if the state they are in is surprising at the very least. I am disgusted because I know that something is wrong, that they, these people, have been wronged. The sickly pale and sallow bodies are stacked together, no stacked isn’t the right word here – they are grouped. They have been separated and terrorized, beaten, starved and depraved of their humanity. With faces slathered with terror and their hollow expressions painted with the most authentic fright one could ever come across, these people’s lank and gnarled bones are not the source of my own fear. I do not repel from them because they are horrific. I repel from them because what happened to them is horrific. I am terrified and sickened knowing that wild beasts, disguising themselves and referring to themselves as one of our own has had the audacity to attack such innocent people as these. I am disgusted because they have the nerve to call themselves humans when they have poisoned and soiled the lives of our own. I’m angry. I’m angry because they, those wild ignorant animals, think that they had the right to do this. They thought that they could steal the humanity and spirits of these people and claim them as their own. How could I be afraid of people that have been attacked by animals? Even with their tethered skin and twisted joints, I cannot fear them. I can only fear for them.

1 comment: