Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Wednesday, August 20 - Alter Ego


 
               The tooth fairy has always been respected and loved by children. I mean, she flies around the world and leaves money for kids. She has such a hard job, that deserves some sort of respect right? She seems exactly how the children and story book writers portray her. She is sweet with a doll face, thin, transparent wings accompanying her small back, and of course, always wearing a smile. Although people have an idea what she looks like, her appearance always changes, so there is no exact description for her. It’s easier to not get caught that way I guess. The way she’s so elusive is scary to think about, don’t you think? She’s always changing, sneaking around in the night stealing children’s teeth. Don’t you find that disturbing? Unfortunately, that’s not the scary part. I would know. I’ve seen what she’s done.

                It all started when I was about 10 years old or so. I was at school and an accident happened while we were about to get or usual snacks. A bigger kid accidentally knocked into me, and I fell, hitting my face against the side of one of our classroom tables. Naturally, there was blood. However, this time one of my small teeth managed to fall straight out onto the ground. After crying, getting patched up and etc., my parents picked me up from school as usual. “The tooth fairy will be coming tonight,” they said with a small. I don’t think they understood that their 10 year old son wasn’t exactly as excited to have her visit. I wasn’t sure why I was afraid of her at first. I remember waking up crying every time I had lost a tooth, but I would never remember why. I wish that was the case this time.

                It was the night that I had lost my tooth, and I lay in bed too afraid to sleep. Too afraid of her visit. I laid there for a while, I must’ve passed out at some point, because I remember feeling something moving under my pillow and waking up. My eyes snapped open, and I laid there too afraid to move. The moving stopped. I turned on my side, and my mouth opened in surprise. No nose escaped my mouth as I stared at her. The tooth fairy, if you could even call it that. A tall slim woman stood there with my tooth in her hand. Her unblinking, pale eyes bore into mine. I watched as her smile curled up in an, inhuman way. Then I heard tearing. Her mouth began to tear open as she stretched open her mouth unnaturally. It was like watching a crocodile open wide to catch its prey. I saw her jaw unhinge as sharp rows of human teeth protruded out into the air. She took my tooth and jammed it into her reddened gums. I screamed, and blacked out.

                I woke up afraid as usual, but this time I knew why. I ran to my parents, screaming and crying. They reassured me that it was just nightmare. But that’s just it. It was a nightmare, but it was all too real. I will never forget her or what I saw. Even now, at 17 years old, I cry when  I lose a tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment