Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Monday, September 29 - I'm Weirded Out


 
 
                “As soon as I arrived, I could sense that something was out of place…” That’s as much as I had typed up on my computer. This was so frustrating for me, I couldn’t think of anything else to write! I mean, of course I could write some suspenseful story following this simple phrase, since this was what I was told to do in class, but nothing is coming to me. October is coming up in just a few short days, so writing a scary story to go with that given prompt would really make sense wouldn’t it? Well, that’s just something that I can’t seem to do right now. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Halloween and I especially love the genre horror. I have a huge soft spot for scary stories and movies, that’s something that I can’t emphasize enough. However, nothing is really coming to me. Looking around the room, it seems like a lot of people are already done with their stories. I bet their tales are creepy or dramatic, but me? Nah, I don’t think so. I mean, we were told to write a story starting with the given phrase, so I don’t think that I’m doing anything wrong here. Why not write a story describing how hard it is to write a story? It’s still a story isn’t it?     

                As far as I’m concerned, I’m pretty sure that I’m thinking out of the box here. Sure, writing a generic scary story to follow the prompt is something that I could do, but why not do the opposite of what people will expect? Maybe a few of my peers ditched the simple and expected scary story idea like I did, but do you think anyone else in the room was crazy enough to do what I did? I don’t think so. This is creative writing, so why not get a little more creative? The word is in the class description anyway. Heck, it’s even in the title! You other writers hearing or reading this know what it’s like to have writers block. It really sucks! So that’s why I decided to let me story take a different turn.  A little bit of laughter goes a long way, so maybe I could get a few chuckles out of writing this.

2 comments:

  1. "Riveting, spectacular, truly amazing", are words that perfectly fit the opposite of this piece by Elizabeth Courage. With her sarcastic tones and her satanic point of view, Elizabeth hits all five stages of grief within the reader. Promised the tale of a horror story only to be ripped away, leaving the reader with pains like losing a favorite pet. The only thing that could help me through my troubles is my severe addiction of being sarcastic. 10/5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive = I feel the same about this class
    Constructive = even though I relate to this, after the first paragraph, it started to sound like you were trying to start a rebellion against the teacher. Come on, it's a class; we just have to suck it up and make it through it.

    ReplyDelete